Cheesy Squash Penne
Can't get the kiddies to eat their veggies? Parents, arm yourself with this sneak attack. Squash and cheese come together in this palate-pleasing penne pasta. Think of it as taking the traditional macaroni and cheese dish and putting a healthy twist on it.
For 0006 Person(s)
- 32 floz water
- 1 teaspoon(s) sea salt
- 1 squash, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter
- 1/5 cup(s) wheat flour, whole
- 2 1/4 cup(s) unsweetened almond milk
- 2 leeks, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) cinnamon
- 2 cup(s) reduced fat cheddar or colby cheese
- 1 cup(s) reduced fat provolone cheese
- 2 cup(s) penne
- Bring 4 cups of water and 1 teaspoon of sea salt to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Stir in the squash and penne.
- Bring back to a boil.
- Cover and cook until the pasta is al dente.
- Drain and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Whisk in the flour and milk until smooth.
- Increase the heat to medium-high.
- Add the leeks, pepper, and cinnamon. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in the cheeses until melted.
- Pour the sauce over the pasta.
- Serve hot.